Wednesday, July 28, 2010

NEW FIND! Cat-Eye Sunglasses


As I emptied my car of my mom's belongings, I found the pair of sunglasses above. I'd been wondering if I should invest in a pair of Cat-Eye glasses, and more importantly if they'd fit my face! Sunglasses are tricky. Not just any shape works well on just any face. (Check out this InStyle article to see which shape glasses should look best on your face.)

To stay on the safe side, most people stick to the familiar: the Aviator, or pilot sunglasses which were initially developed by RayBan in 1936 and sold to the Army but glasses weren't available to the public until 1938. Also created by RayBan, the popular Wayfarer (created in 1952) to rid glasses of their metal frames. 

There's various other shapes, but for me, the aforementioned two along with the Cat-Eye are the most popular shapes, or at least the shapes known by name. Oh, and the Jackie O! The pair I scored (in the trunk of the car of all places) is most similar to Ralph Lauren's "Cat Eye"  which retail at $250. Not saying mine are anything near that valuable, but... you get my drift.  

There's a healthy debate surrounding the origin of the Cat-Eye sunglass shape, but the most popular attribution is to Audrey Hepburn for her's in Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961). (If you "love" fashion haven't watched this movie, you are sadly mistaken about your passion. I started this blog three days ago, and already this movie has been cited twice.) The Cat-Eye is commonly referenced as 1950s - 1960s style. 

The Cat-Eye's return to the catwalk (oh so appropriate) fits well with the structured lines and simple, yet modern cuts most designers featured in their Fall 2010 collections -- seems we are officially in our Mad Men era. Louis Vuitton's Fall 2010 collection (watch the runway show here) was most truly reminiscent of this period (in my humble opinion), featuring long, flowing skirts,  elbow-length gloves and dainty shoes with bows on the tips. Certain looks in the Fendi Fall 2010 ready-to-wear collection also hit the mark.


My recommendation, if they fit your face, get yourself a pair of Cat-Eye sunglasses because Miss Hepburn (rather, Miss Golightly) is never out of style. 



No comments: